Sandstone floors are beautiful because it is a natural floor covering. It gives the look of sandy beaches due to its whitish beige and yellowish undertones. These stylish tiles can give a distinctive touch to any room. Since it is made from natural materials it can also be considered to be eco friendly. If you are big on using natural materials in your home or outdoor spaces, sandstone tiles are a great option.
Benefits of using sandstone tiles
The following are some of the benefits for you to choose a sandstone tile:
- Sandstone floors have a natural beauty. The very colors which range from off white to a dark grey color give an earthy feel to your homes.
- Sandstone is also quite durable unlike slate or granite, which are prone to cracks or chipping over time. Sandstone is known to last for decades. It does not require a great deal of maintenance either. An occasional cleaning with the wet cloth can ensure its longevity.
- Sandstone tiles have a unique pattern and color. Since sandstone is a natural material the pattern found in each individual piece is completely different from the other one. Sandstone is found in form of giant slabs which are then processed and cut into smaller pieces. This way each piece of the tile is random sample of the bigger slab which was extracted from the Earth.
- Sandstone has a rough texture which is craggy and jagged. It is levelled with the help of a process known as gauging. However it all depends upon your own personal preference whether you want to retain the natural texture of the tiles or would like them to be polished to give a shiny appearance.
The problem with using sandstone tiles
If you are looking for a natural flooring option like sandstone tiles you should also consider some of its drawbacks. Sandstone is comparatively soft and porous. Unlike concrete it does not have the hardness which is required for durable flooring.
- Since sandstone is naturally porous it absorbs liquid and which in turn makes it prone to damage from mold or stains left by the liquid. It is actually advised that sandstone tiles should not be used in bathrooms, kitchen or other rooms which might be prone to water leakage. However it makes a great pavement for the outside of your homes.
- While sandstone is a rock, it is comparatively softer to every other kind of rocks. This means that it can be prone to dents and scratches over a period of time. It is generally not a great flooring option for a place which has high traffic.
- Another drawback is that when sandstone tiles get wet, these tend to get quite slippery. However this can be overcome if the tiles are honed. On the other hand polished sandstone tiles are pretty dangerous when wet because these become particularly slippery at that time.
Do consider the pros and cons of sandstone tiles before you have them installed.